Varvara N. Papadopoulou is serving as director of the 8th Euphorate of Byzantine Antiquities (Regional Service of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture) with jurisdiction in the Prefectures of Ioannina and Thesprotia and of the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina. She completed her graduate studies in Archaeology and History of Art at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. She received her postgraduate degree in Middle Age Studies from the
and is currently a Ph. D. candidate at the aforementioned university. Her
dissertation topic is: “Palaeochristian University of Ioannina from the 4th to the 7th centuries. The testimony of sculpture”. Epirus
Mrs. Papadopoulou has carried out excavational research in the cities of Arta, Nicopolis, Nafpaktos,
and in the wider region of the Prefectures of Arta and Preveza. Restoration has
been conducted on a great number of monuments under her supervision in the
Prefectures of Ioannina, Thesprotia, Arta, Preveza, Aetoloakarnania, as well as
in the islands of Corfu
and Paxoi. She has identified and recorded various monuments throughout
Northwestern Greece as in the region of Argyrokastro in . She
has taken active part in numerous scientific conferences in Albania and abroad and has also
published various articles and studies in books as well as in foreign and Greek
She has participated in groups responsible for launching a multitude of research programs concerning the cultural heritage of the region of
. She was also part of the
funding group of the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina and of the Glyptotheque in
Arta, as well as various exhibitions, such as the Fethiye Mosque exhibition and
the permanent exhibition residing in the Archways of the Epirus .
She also took part in the organization and coordination of International
Conferences, such as the 1st International
Symposium for the Despotate of Epirus (1990), the 2nd International Symposium for Nicopolis (2002), the 10th
International Symposium of Byzantine Sigillography (2009), etc. Castle of Ioannina
She is an active member of the Archaeological Society at
of the Christian Archaeological Society and of the
Society of Epirotic Studies. She is also an active member of the Administrative
Council of the Foundation for the Ionian and Adriatic Region. She has also
served as vice president of the Foundation “Actia Nicopolis” and is member of the Local Council of the Monuments of
Epirus, of the Council of Settlement and Environment Planning while she was
previously part of the Local Council of Monuments of the Athens Ionian
She has taught Byzantine Archaeology and Iconography at the School for Tourist Guides of the Greek National Tourism Organization in Kerkyra for a period of six (6) years and History of Art at the Technological Education Institute of Epirus.
She is married to the pianist-composer Konstantinos Georgonikos († 2009) and is the mother of one child.
Recently she has also taken up the management of the 18th Euphorate of Byzantine Antiquities whose jurisdiction includes the Byzantine and Post Byzantine monuments of the Prefectures of Arta and Preveza.
A. Scientific articles – Papers.
1. Archaeological Newsletter Chronicles (1982 – 2004).
2. New evidence for Palaeochristian Nafpaktos, Α΄ International Archaeological Symposium for Aetoloakarnia, Messolonghi 1991 (paper).
3. New archaeological evidence for the Byzantine city of
Minutes of the International Symposium
for the Despotate of Epirus, Arta 1992, 375 – 400 (article and paper). Arta
4. The Monastery of Eleousa, The Monasteries of the
– Painting, Ioannina 1993. Island of Ioannina
5. The Monastery of Metamorfosi, The Monasteries of the
– Painting, Ioannina 1993. Island of Ioannina
6. Late Byzantine Ceramics from Arta: Some Examples, in collaboration with K. Tsouris,
Ceramica nel Mondo
Bizantino tra XI e XV secolo e, I suoi Rapporti con l’Italia, Firenze (Conference
Minutes), 1993, 241-261,
(article and paper).
7. Byzantine sculptures – architectural members of the archaeological collection of Nafpaktos, Nafpaktiaka, Studies Tome Six – 1992-1993,
1994, 179-199 (article and paper). Athens
8. The image of Jesus Pantokrator in the Monastery of Molyvdoskepastos of Ioannina, Figos, honorary tome for professor Sotitis Dakaris, Ioannina 1994.
9. Murals in Kerkyra from 15th to 18th century, Byzantine and Post Byzantine Art in Kerkyra – Monuments, Images, Heirlooms, Culture, Kerkyra 1994, 67 – 70.
10. The wider region of Konitsa during the Byzantine period, Minutes of the Α΄ Scientific Symposium: The county of Konitsa in space and time, Konitsa 1995 (article and paper).
11. Byzantine and
Monuments of Northern Epirus, Lecture,
Corfu Reading Society, 1997.
12. The Castles of
Epirus, Lecture, Panepirotic Confederation of , 1997. Greece
13. The wider region of Amvrakikos gulf during the Palaeochristian period, Tribute to N.G.L. Hammond, Society of Macedonic Studies, Thessaloniki 1997 (article and paper).
14. The Palaeochristian basilica in Distomo of Viotia, Yearbook of the Society of Viotic Studies, tome Α΄, issue α΄, Athens 1998, 534 – 546, Plates 1 – 10 (article and paper).
15. The Monasteries of Lakka Soulio, Demands and Perspectives, Lecture, Dodonea Estia, Association of Epirots of the Diaspora, 1998.
16. The Monastery of Agios Nicolaos Gioumaton or Eleousa. Observations regarding the first phases of Catholicism, Minutes of the International Symposium: The Monasteries of the Island of Ioannina, 700 years, 1292 – 1992, Ioannina 29-31/051992, Ioannina 1999 (article and paper).
17. Palaeochristian oil lamps and Byzantine Polycandela from the Museum of the Foundation of Baron Michail Tositsa, Evangelos Averof Collection, Athens 2000.
18. New data from the excavational research in Alkisonos basilica, Lecture, Foundation of Actia Nikopolis, Preveza 2000.
19. Byzantine and
Monuments of Northern
Epirus, Lectures I, Winter –
Spring 1997, Ioannina 2000, 143 – 165 (article and paper).
20. Excavation of the Palaeochristian Alkisonos basilica, Lecture, Friends of the Byzantine Museum of Ioannina, 2000.
21. Nicopolis Alkisonos basilica. Evidence from the recent excavational research, Symposium of the Christian Archaeological Society, Athens 2000 (paper).
22. The image of prayer of Nicolaos Tzafouris, Newsletter of the Christian Archaeological Society, Tome 22nd, Athens 2001 (article and paper).
23. Byzantine Pottery from Nafpaktos, Nafpaktiaka Tome 12 (1998 – 1998), Athens 2001 (article and paper).
24. Nicopolis. The excavation of the Palaeochristian Alkisonos basilica: 1998 – 1999, Scientific Symposium, Medieval
, Ioannina 2001
(articleand paper). Epirus
La Sapienza”, in: L’ Adriatico dalla
Tarda Antichità’ all’ età Carolingia:atti de convegno di studio, 11-13 Οttobre 2001
26. Georgios Nomikos, A Cretan painter from the 17th century, Newsletter of the Christian Archaeological Society, Tome 23rd, Athens 2002 (paper and article).
27. The wanderings of a saint in Akarnania. Agios Varvaros, Β΄ International Historic and Archaeological Conference for Aetoloakarnania, Agrinio 2002 (in collaboration with professor Ath. Aggelou).
28. New excavational finds from Nicopolis, Lecture in the context of the seminar about Byzantine Epirus of the University of Athens/School of Philosophy/Department of Archaeology and History of Art, 2002.
29. Byzantine Arta, Lecture in the context of the seminar about Byzantine Epirus of the University of Athens/School of Philosophy/Department of Archaeology and History of Art, 2002.
30. Bronze Lamps and Polycandela of the Averof collection in the Baron Tositsas foundation museum, 1st International study congress of antique Lighting, Nyon 2003. (article and paper).
31. Monastery of Kato Panaghia Arta, Icon Collection, Epirotic Chronicles, Tome 37, Ioannina 2003.
32. Urania of the
in Preveza, Tribute to Miltos Garidis,
Ioannina 2003 (article and paper). temple of Agios Athanasios
painting in the tample of Aghia
Parhigoritissa in Arta, Newsletter of the Christian Archaeology Society, Tome
25th, Athens 2004 (article and paper). Tombstone
34. Clay icon in the
in Arta, Lemma in the
catalogue of the exhibition Faith and Power, New York 2004. temple of Aghios Vasilios
35. The Byzantine Monastery of Panaghia Perivleptos, Contribution to the monumental topography of Byzantine Arta, Honorary tome to G. Galavaris, Newsletter of the Christian Archaeological Society, Tome 26th, Athens 2005 (article and paper).
36. Dual-side painted icon of the 14th century in the Monastery of Ghiromeri, Thesprotia, Byzantine 25, Thessaloniki 2005.
37. Goldsmiths and Silversmiths from Epirus, Contribution to the Study of Epirotic Silversmithing, Epirotic Chronicles, Tome 39, Ioannina 2005.
38. The Byzantine Templar of Vlacherna, Symposium of the Christian Archaeological Society, Athens 2005 (paper).
39. Late Byzantine plaster sculptures, Archaeological Newsletter, Studies 56, Athens 2006.
40. Byzantine marble icon of Panaghia in Archimandrio of Ioannina, Honorary tome to professor Nikos Nikonanos, Thessaloniki 2006.
41. Stories of alimentation from the Byzantine and Post Byzantine
brochure editor, Ioannina 2006. Epirus
42. Alkisonos basilica – The excavational research of recent years, Minutes of the Second International Symposium for Nicopolis, 11 – 15 September 2002, Preveza 2007, 399 – 420 (article and paper).
43. Sculpted architectural members of the Alkisonos Β΄ basilica, Observations and Conclusions, Minutes of the Second International Symposium for Nicopolis, 11 – 15 September 2002, Preveza 2007, 421 – 439 (article and paper).
44. Arta. The Byzantine murals of the Monastery of Kato Panaghia, Byzantine, Tome 27th, Thessaloniki 2007.
45. The excavation of the Palaeochristian basilica in Stefani, Preveza, Minutes of the First Archaeological Conference of South and Western Greece, 2007 (article and paper).
46. The Byzantine Templar of the temple of Aghia Theodora in Arta, Newsletter of the Christian Archaeological Society, Athens 2008 (article and paper).
in Bulgareli, Arta, Epirotic Chronicles,
Tome 42, Ioannina 2008. Red Church
48. Lead vials of myrhh (koutrouvia) from
Epirotic Chronicles, Tome 42,
Ioannina 2008. Epirus
49. The Palaeochristian Nafpaktos, 17th Symposium of the Christian Archaeological Society,
50. Lemma (No 4, 5, 7, 11) in the catalogue of the exhibition: The Circumnavigation of Icons, Kerkyra 14th – 18th century, Kerkyra 1994.
51. Lemma: The
of Ioannina, the “tower” of Thomas,
the castle of Rogon,
etc in: Secular Middle Age Architecture
in the Balkans, 1300 – 1500 and its preservation, 1997. Thessaloniki
52. Lemma: “Arta” and “Ioannina” in: Dictionary of Act, MacMillan Publ.
1. Byzantine Arta and its Monuments, Published by the Fund of Arcahaeological Resources, Athens 2002.
2. Trek in Arta, published by the
Arta 2002. Municipality of Arta
3. The Monasteries of the
4. Byzantine and Post Byzantine Monuments of Molyvdoskepastos, Ioannina
collaboration with A. Karamberidi.
5. Icons of Arta, Arta
2008, in collaboration with A. Tsiara.
6. The Byzantine Monuments of Epirus, Ioannina 2008 (editing and text).
7. Ioannina. From the Byzantine Castle to the Ottoman City, Ioannina 2009 (editing).
8. Monuments of the City of Ioannina, Ioannina 2009 (editing and text).
9. The Castle of Ioannina, Ioannina 2009 (editing and text).
1. The Byzantine Monastery of Aghios Dimitrios in Kipseli, Preveza, in collaboration with professor P. Vokotopoulos, Preveza 2007.
D. Educational Programs.
2. Educational program: The Castle of Ioannina (under publication).